General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Bike commuting in M'Boro

There are also apartments in the older houses along Main Street that become available. Some are run down, some look like they'd be nice.

Re: Bike commuting in M'Boro

Thanks for the tips! Does anyone have experience riding through the Hwy 96 (Old fort Pkwy) and I 24 intersection or the New Salem Hwy (99) I-24 underpass? Is this something you would want to do twice a day during rush hour?

If you do not mind heavy traffic because both of those will have it and they have just put a new interchange in at HWY 99 and I-24. It would also be a longer commute.
I have done it and there is a lot of traffic with folks in a hurry to get home or to work while talking on the cell phone or reading the paper and eating breakfast or a snack.
Off Hwy 99 there is another way into town on less traveled roads but again it will add miles to your commute.
My 2 cents worth.
Cary

Re: Re: Bike commuting in M'Boro

I hate to drive a car on Old Fort Parkway at I-24. that interchange is really nasty during morning (6:15 a.m - 10:00 a.m.) and afternoon (2:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.) rush hour...I live west of there and avoid it at all cost. The extra miles on back roads are worth the extra years to your life.

Classic Boro

You'll find some of the best riding in the country around here. That said, the town has grown with absolutely no thought or consideration given to bikes or walking. The major roads are not safe so you'll need a back route to avoid them. Even new roads are being built without sidewalks &/or bike lanes. You'll want to come visit. Bring a road bike & come to some rides.

So if one did live in the Cason Lane area, would the "back way" be to ride down to New Salem Hwy and east onto smaller roads through downtown to campus?

Not anything reasonably direct

Hwys 96, 99, & 231 are not really enjoyable to ride. There's a new interchange going in on 99 so who knows how it will be when finished. Currently, you could ride the shoulder (depending on construction) & cut thru on Old Salem or Bridge Ave. I'd look on the other side of I24. What type of housing do you want? Downtown? New subdivision? Apartment complex? What price range?

Ideally we would be close to campus in a cute, cool older house. We want to avoid the new subdivisions if possible. To start with an apartment would be fine, but not a student dominated party apartment.

Re: Re: Bike commuting in M'Boro

Then look downtown. Make a trip & wander around. See what's here.

Or look on the other side of campus out towards Woodbury, Milton, Lascassas, Gnat Hill, etc.. Does your definition of a cool older house include wheels on the home? We have plenty of them out where Junkman has his country estate. They even come with 2 or 3 free dogs!

Cary

Only a 20 mi commute

from Shotgun County otherwise known as Gods Country to campus. You can stop at the Handle Bar for breakfast, beer & smokes.