General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: reminder - special called business meeting

This forum seems to be an acceptable place to draw up support for a particular side, so I'm going to make a few comments.

I was in the club and an officer (if my memory serves me right) when the TCM came into being. As I recall it was presented to the officers for approval and not voted on by the membership. I also remember a discussion where the officers were concerned about the difficulty we already had in supporting one ride a year, much less two. However the presenters made us feel it would not be a stretch to the club resourses.

Now my big concern with all this isn't so much whether we vote to continue the ride, even though personally I like to do one thing really well, rather than struggle with two. My big concern is what kind of message are we sending to our officers and leaders of the club. These officers (and other's before them) are in this because they love cycling and they love our club. They feel this so strongly that they are willing to give much of their personal time many times just because there's no one else willing or available to do it. I don't believe any of them do it as an ego boost or to feel powerful.

Now if we vote against their decision, I believe we are sending a message that we think it's time for new leadership. If that's the case, then good, sometimes things need to change. But if that's not the case, that may be what we end up with.

I think the right thing to do is support the people who have been involved enough to know all the issues. If you feel strongly the club would be better served with new people, then find them (or volunteer) for next year's election. Then as a club we can support them.