General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Demise of TCM

I was saddened to learn of the demise of the TCM when Dwight spoke up. I applaud him for doing so. It seems to me that the openness to member participation in meetings that is supposedly desired and encouraged has never been there. The decision of the TCM demonstrates this. Regardless of whether it was the correct decision, the members' opinions should be considered. I realize that my opinion doesn't really matter since I am no longer an active member being two hours away. I hope that the decision on the TCM will be reconsidered. As stated before, if it is let go for one year, it will never make a come back. Trying to restart the ride a year or two later is setting yourself up for failure. If the majority of the club feels that this is the correct decision, then so be it. If nothing else, I hope the club has learned from this experience.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Speaking as a dues-delinquent rider who tries to support the club.

TCM is my favorite ride! I have worked the HOT once or twice, but never have _wanted_ to ride 100 miles in August. But I'm not a real roadie.

Have been unable to participate in the TCM for two years, but all that should change this year. And no TCM? Heck, I might have been able to volunteer and everything...

TCM will be missed. Sorry I couldn't "be there" to help this not happen.

I suppose with all the nice new singletrack in mid-TN, I'll just stay on fat tires and pay my dues to SORBA and USACycling and IMBA.

WP

Re: WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

I recall the Tour de Boro being an event that was not only confused with the TCM, but also held within the same week. Based on this, it appeared that there was a base of support for cycling entirely separate from the MBC and had made me wonder if this club wasn't trying very hard to recruit members and attract interest in events. Going further, why weren't these people signing up or volunteering for the TCM? I wonder what would have sprung from the effort had the TDB not suffered from bad weather in its first go. Another club?

On another note, I agree with the other poster that the HOT 100 is unattractive as a ride because of the time of year it is held. How many actually do the 100 in that heat? If you had to kill one event, I'd say it should go instead.

Re: Demise of TCM

Last year I had hoped to ride the TCM this year. Obviously, if it isn't there, no one can ride it! So, although I am really lousey at drumming up sponsers, etc, I am willing to drive sag again. Would I rather ride? Sure. But you don't always get what you want in this world. Of the two events, I'd rather see us keep the TCM. I mean, come on! A century in AUGUST!!?????!!! I drove sag for that one as well, and was really worried about some of those folks going and heat stroking on us. I'll even offer to help put together packets, or something--my forte is behind the scenes, not as a front person. And my number is 785-0128, although it is off at night because we don't get coverage here at the house. That number is 895-0813, but if you leave a message with a person it will be late and garbled! Use the cell for a message!

Re: Re: Demise of TCM

First off let me state that I will miss the TCM and I have only done it once.It is a beginner level friendly course with great support.In fact it was so good that Krystal and I wanted to return the favor and volunteered to work the HOT-100.(great job Janey)Well that and the fact the HOT was moved to a course that was not friendly for us that are altitude/climate challenged.It was actually quite fun to work the (#1 rated)rest stop at the Rock Springs church.Sounds as if several people were sad to not be able to ride the TCM this year.With this being stated as an new member last year I concur that the club welcomes new riders
but does not keep these new riders by literally leaving them in the dust.This addressed by Ed with the EZ-plan.Kudos to Ed.The club is a fast club and as a result of this it has become a club of those that can keep up thus deleting the volunteer pool.I do not know the answer to this problem but that it is a problem.Have other clubs dealt with this issue? I am also saddened to learn that Ed and Dot will not be hosting the Tuesday rides from there home and the ride will be combined.Once again mixing us turtles with the rabbits.Thanks for the memories and your time/hospitality Ed and Dot.I can be reached 653-2134 FT.Gordon Ga. until Mar 28.
No trees were harmed during this transmission but several electrons were agitated.

One answer that I've found works

Don, First, you are welcome to lead a ride if the current ride isn't at your pace. Leading can be as simple as heading up a group leaving from the same location as the main ride but going slower. In the beginning, you may also want to call someone that rides your pace so you're assured of having a group. Regardless, It's easy to modify the main route to fit & you won't even need to make the map. That's how I ended up leading Tue. I wanted to ride & couldn't keep up with the rabbits (still can't).

Second, status of TCM can be more accurately described as "in limbo". Certain things will have to happen for it to continue, some of which the club members can impact. One issue is having enough volunteers. I'm sure this & any other issues will be addressed at the upcoming meeting. In the interum, let's ALL be deciding to help.

Re: Re: Re: Demise of TCM

Don,

Dorothy and I are most definitely planning on continuing the Tuesday evening Spanntown ride. I don't know where you heard that we weren't.