General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mtn bike family day at Tim's Ford

Tim's Ford State Park Mtn Bike Training - Saturday January 19, 2008
8am-3pm

SCHEDULE:
Plan on starting the day early, so everyone can make their way back home early!

8am:
Intros, schedule, brief discussion by a Park Naturalist on conservation and animal rehab efforts that Tim's Ford is engaging in. Also discussion of future plans to expand these efforts in the near future.

8:30-11:30am:
Those who want to bike the 14 mile trail can head out. Advanced group first, then intermediate and then novice riders (each group heading out at 5 minute intervals)

**For true mtn bike beginners (or those who would like to ride with their younger children on the trails) there will be supervised rides led by an experienced mtn biker at 9am and 10:30am. These will be on partially paved/partially trails and approximately 4 milesin length. The group will stay together at all times.

**Participants are also invited to hike on the walking trails, or bike the paved trails and roads, as they explore this great middle TN State Park.

12noon-2pm: Scavenger Hunt
I'm keeping the details to myself until the 19th, but it will be a fun event that will take you all over the park. It will be pseudo-competitive for those who like that sort of thing. But if you want to take the competition aspect out and just enjoy the park, maybe ride with your spouse/children/friends you can do that too.

2pm-3pm: Bike Games

WHERE TO MEET?

Base camp for the day will be located at a picnic shelter. Come in through the park gates, go by the Visitor's Center. You'll see a sign for picnic shelters about 1/4 mile past the Visitor's Center. Turn left and we will be located at the last picnic shelter at the end of that road. We'll have some signs up from the main park entrance gate on, pointing the way. There will also be a banner up at the shelter (so you know you're in the right place - 'course, all the bikes may give it away as well

COST

There is no cost for this event. It's free, so take advantage of this great opportunity to try out a great new trail and a great State Park (and bring your friends and family).

WHAT TO BRING

A friend of mine has very graciously offered to make up a big pot of chilli and to keep the fires burning under the picnic shelter. So there'll be heat and a bit to eat to ward off the chills. I'm not sure if the restrooms beside the picnic shelter are open this time of year or not, but I know for certain that the Visitor's Center (with running water and restrooms) will be open.

Having said all of that please bring:

1. Your own food - both trail snacks and "real food" - enough for a full day's activities in the cold

2. Appropriate clothing for the weather conditions on the day. We all know what the weather in "these parts" can be like in mid-January. It could be 65 degrees, it could be 18 degrees. If the weather looks to be cold please PLEASE bring enough layers of clothing to keep you warm both on the trails and while winding down at the shelter. For those who may be new to this whole outdoor-winter-biking-thing this means synthetic (non-cotton) clothing. Multiple thin layers are better than one or two bulky layers.

Even if the weather is anticipated to be dry and fairly moderate, it would be a good idea to carry an extra layer of clothing and a warm hat with you when you head out on the trails. All it takes is one injury to bring you to a standstill until help can arrive. And hypothermia can set in very quickly under those circumstances.

Finally - remember the wet weather gear if the forecast is calling for rain on the day. If the weather is really predicted to be awful (or if it has been awful - very wet, freezing) in the few days before the event, please check into the National Mountain Bike site for updates. Modifying the event is a real possibility in that case. Completely cancelling the event will be a call made by both myself and the Park Manager, and will be based on safety and trail integrity.

3. Enough water in bottles or bladders to sustain your physical effort on the day. There will be water available at the Visitor's Center, but it would be a good idea to have at least a couple of filled water bottles when you arrive.

4. Tool kit - all the stuff you would need to deal with minor bike problems out on the trails (spare tube, patch kit, multi-tool, etc.)

5. Helmet, gloves, bike shoes etc. etc.

SPONSORS AND OTHER GREAT PEOPLE

This event is sponsored by:
TrailBlazers Adventure Racing Club: http://www.trailblazerar.com/
Woodys Bicycles: http://woodysbicycles.com/

This event is also offered as a result of co-operation with:
Tims Ford State Park: http://state.tn.us/environment/parks/TimsFord/
Tullahoma Parks and Recreation Department: http://www.tullahoma-tn.com/departments/parksrec.html

Please check back regularly on the National Mtn Bike board for any updates between now and the 19th. Also please post any other questions you might have
http://www.nationalmountainbike.com/...ead.php?t=3269

Please post here if you have any other questions.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Karin

Re: Mtn bike family day at Tim's Ford

I'll be working Saturday, but will ride Tims Sunday after this gala. I hear it's good.