General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone have thoughts/reviews on the Trek 2100?

Looking pretty seriously at one down at MOAB - all comments either way are appreciated!

Re: Anyone have thoughts/reviews on the Trek 2100?

These have proven to be extremely reliable machines. They have the aluminum front triangle and carbon stays if I recall correctly. From experience, I can say that aluminum is a rough ride. The carbon stays should soften it up quite a bit though. The Bontrager components that it will come with are pretty good. The wheels will be close to bomb proof. Unless you get hit by a Mack truck, you should never have any problem from the frame. If you want more opinions, check out roadbikereview.com. They have reviews of pretty much every bike and bike part ever made.

My last bike was a 2005 model 2100. I loved the SLR aluminum frame with the OCLV carbon stays. I was dissapointed to see the 2006 model come with TCT stays but I noticed that the 2007 models once again have the OCLV stays and are being built again in the U.S. I do not know about the 2008 model. This is a good bike for the short or long ride. I rode mine on everything from club rides to centuries. It had plenty of torque and not much flex. I could tell a significant ride difference between the carbon seat stay 2100 frame and the all aluminum frame I had before. The carbon stays and fork seem to reduce a lot of vibration where it counts. I think the 2007 model comes with a good components package. I would swap any cheap brakes for an inexpensive set of 105's or Ultegra. Stopping is important. The Select wheels are good for any riding you will do around here.

The main reason I switched from my 2100 to my R3 was that I really wanted a double crank and didn't want to put that money into my 2100. I also felt that I was ready to move to a carbon frame and liked what Cervelo had to offer. If I was looking for an aluminum frame bike today, I would look very seriously at the 2100. However, if you want a double crank instead of a triple, ask the MOAB folks to show you something comparable in another brand. There is a benefit to buying from a local shop like MOAB that can show you different bikes and work with you to get the proper fit.

Wait, I thought to something else. If you don't like the triple crank on the 2100, you may want to consider a compact double crank. There are a lot of bikes that now come standard with a compact double crank. Also, I noticed that Trek is changing the model numbers for 2008. The 2008 2.1 and 2.3 models come with either a compact 50/34 crank or a triple. The 2.3 looks like it comes with better wheels. The seat stays are returning to TCT carbon.