General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Critical Mass ride

Your official statement wouldn't hurt to be posted in the DNJ prior to any such "events". Such a negative approach as a Critical Mass Ride can only be detrimental, especially at a time when we are hoping to bring the City of Murfreesboro Bicyle Plan back to the attention of the city engineers and planners.

Re: Critical Mass ride

Ed, the idea of a statement in the DNJ saying the MBC does not support this type activity but instead is working with local agencies/groups to build a positive relationship of sharing the roads and working to make Murfreesboro a Bicycle Friendly Community might be a good thing since these critical mass rides usually get both TV and newspaper coverage because of the conflict/disturbances they cause and sometimes violence between police/motorist's/cyclist's.
At least up front it would have been publicized the MBC is not supportive of this. What do you think?
Cary

Re: Re: Critical Mass ride

I think I heard mention Mark has this posted at MOAB. Is it possible to request he not advertise it or would that cause friction?

Re: Re: Re: Critical Mass ride

How about a completely different approach? What if MBC swamped the ride with as many people as possible? If they are going to ride at rush hour blocking traffic, running lights, etc., MBCers could encourage other behavior and join in if it turns out to be more geared towards appropriate behavior. If I were still in the Boro, I would go check it out and try to move it in the right direction. Just a suggestion.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Critical Mass ride (just say it)

I like the official release of a statement indicating that these types of rides are not sanctioned idea. It will be one of the positions we will need to take to get things moving with the bike plan. Someone will need to plug in at that level and Ed, you sound like the man for the job.

I would try to get it covered in the same story as the ride if possible. Don't have to grant an interview, but not opposed if you did. But at the least a press statement with the official position of the club and why. They can use the statement in the story.

Just because bicycling improvement is on the radar, it isn't a slam dunk. Little things like that can be very helpful in laying some important groundwork.