General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The City of Murfreesboro Bicycle Plan

A huge Thank You to all who came out to the Franklin Road Baptist Church for the informational meeting about road upgrades in Rutherford County. As you are painfully aware, we have a lot of work to do to get the Bicycle Plan back on the front burner of the city planners and the City Council.

Dana Richardson, Traffic Director of the Planning and Engineering Department has agreed to re-open meetings with us to review and upgrade the 20 Year Bicycle Plan.

Now is the time to get involved if we truly want to have a hand in making Murfreesboro a true bicycle friendly community.

I am happy to facilitate getting the inital meeting set up. However, I would love for someone to step up and chair a group of MBC interested parties. I currently work full time in Nashville, am up to my eyeballs in HOT 100 planning, as well as coordinating Jersey orders and delivery.

Please let me know if you are interested in being a part of this steering committee, working with our City Planners and City Council to make the 20 year bike plan a reality and gaining recognition as a true bicycle friendly community. It is win win situation for everyone in our community.

Thank you! See you on the road!

Sarah

Re: The City of Murfreesboro Bicycle Plan

First of all, I am NOT volunteering for heading up this endevour! The reason is I want it to succeed...and previous experience has taught me that is much more likely to happen if I do support work in the background. However, I will be glad to work with someone else as the head of this group, committee or what ever we call it.

Also, along the same lines: One of the points in the plan is to educate the public. I don't know who to contact, if this has been tried before, if we have the epople power, etc, but may I throw an idea or two out?
School is about to start. That means overworked PTA heads are going to be planning Fall Festivals at nearly every school in the county. I think the Police Department have some resources we could utilize to set up a Bike Rodeo at however many Fall Festivals we can finagle. Goal would be publicity for us, for bike helmets, laws, such as the three foot buffer zone, bike lanes and trails, practical advice on bike commuting, shopping, etc., the dangers posed to us by dogs, cars, etc. i could help with contacts at MTCS, and also in typing up a handout. I don't know how to format a flyer, but if someone could do the fancy work, perhaps we could get some flyers together to pass out.

Too late to do this for this year, but next year--could we come up with a sort of miniaturized tour de France, and get it covered by the paper--and I mean REALLY covered. have teams, etc, pass out some sort of ????? each day for each of the officil jerseys... I'm thinking perhaps 10% of the actual distances, and match the flat days and the mountain days with what we have here. Maybe Independecne Hill could stand in for the Col du Tourmalet, and the route we rode Sunday could be one of the flat stages. If we could run it either right before on on the same days as the Tour perhaps the paper would like to do France/M'boro coverage.

OK, next person in line plese take the floor!