General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Drunken ******* weekend rides

I know, guys. Everyone's on a different schedule these days. I work in Nashvegas and usually don't get home until after 9 pm. on weekdays.
Thus, the afternoon rides are no longer an option - although I wish I could make them again.
And for me to get to Rock Springs, for instance, in time for a 7 a.m. ride, I'd have to leave the house at 5:45 a.m., to play it safe.
And while it is hotter at 10 a.m., that's why I propose shorter rides (30-50 miles).
This is just an option, but it's what I have to do with my own schedule. I've been riding alone for a while up here on the Northside and just wanted to know if someone else wanted to ride along on a semi-regular schedule. I'll be leaving Osborne and Emory at about 10:15 a.m. today (after the TdF finish)and probably do the Floraton loop, if anyone wants to come along.

PS-Today's also the monthly meeting of the Mid-State Brew Crew, of which I'm a proud member. We meet at 3 p.m. at Liquid Smoke on the square. Anyone interested in home brewing or wine making is welcome! Go to the Mid-State Brew Crew site for more info.
PSS-Liquid Smoke is having a cigar event as well, so good deals today. And Uncle Dave Macon Days are going on too. Gonna be a great weekend

Re: Drunken ******* weekend rides

I am all for a 'city' approach to the club (in the style of the Harpeth?), but there never seems like there is enough membership in the club for it, especially younger (and stronger) riders. That is why I don't show up for rides with MBC anymore. I'd love to crank out a 'fast' 40 or 50 mile ride that starts 'whenever' and hang out at a place that serves a good lunch and a nice cold beer, but how many people in the current club would be interested in doing that?

Re: Re: Drunken ******* weekend rides

I'm one. I'll be leaving from the corner of Osborne and Emory at 10:15 this morning, after the TdF finish. I'm the geek on the red KHS Flite 500 and the Arrogant ******* beer jersey. Come on along

Re: Re: Re: Drunken ******* weekend rides

Well, I'm sort of half way with you. I like to sleep in a bit on the weekends, as during the week I have to be up by 5:30 ish. But I am honestly not into the adult beverage scene. I never developed a taste for it, and now...well, alcohol is basically a sugar, and what sugar I can allow myself is normally of the chocolate variety! But, I'd like to start a bit later. Problem is, I'm slow. If you are planning to ride in the 13--15 mph range, I'd love to come along, and then split off to do the Mom Thing after instead of the beer thing. Also, my internet connection is a bit iffy! Hence I just now found about your ride today. I need to do 45+ on the weekends now, trying to get ready for the BRAT. I do enjoy riding with the club though. I just feel guilty when I slow every one else down!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Drunken ******* weekend rides

You know, it's not (all) about the beer; it's more of a scheduling thing for me, too (although the beer is a good thing).
I run, bike and lift weights five or six days a week, but to do that consistently (at 42, with small kids, a job in Nashville and a wife who works weekends) I have to keep the workouts short and fun. I could give two hours (three, w/lunch) to a Saturday ride, but that's it. Thus, the Drunken ******* rides should always start at 10-ish and end at 12-ish, with lunch and drinks going to 1-ish (personally, I'd like to keep the apres-ride spots to downtown restaurants with outside patios. We get stinky while riding - nuff said. Likewise, I'm only going to places from where I can ride my bike home. To me, it defeats the purpose of bike riding to load up your SUV and drive a few miles to eat somewhere. Finally, I'd rather be on my bike after a few brews, not behind the wheel of a couple of thousand pounds of steel)
Beyond that, I'm kind of leery about throwing out how fast we'd ride, how far, etc., anything except a start point and time, a general route and a finish point at a restaurant - you can overthink these things and take away from the fun.
Likewise, as far as the pace being too fast or too slow, don't sweat it. If you're left behind at a point, or lead a breakaway from le pelaton, so be it (Personally, at 42 I'm more interested in steady calorie-burning,chatting and the scenery than drafting with the hard-core types). I like my own Saturday ride to be fun and a little easier, but that's just me.
I think the motto of the Drunken ******* rides should be "Do whatever the hell you want to." If you want to join us afterwards at a restaurant for a few cold ones, c'mon. And if you don't, that's fine, too.

Re: Drunken ******* weekend rides

More power to you. Just dont get caught drinking and riding

the other Bob

Not the Junkman