General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for info on club history ...

Before Jane and Steve McAuley were president and vice president in about the 1990's, Miki Titus was president of the club. There was someone (a man- I'm not sure of his name. Ask Jim Kidd, he'll know.) before her. The club started as a loosely based group of people who enjoyed cycling and who would get together to do centuries and bike rides. The century rides consisted of a car that was parked out on the route with a cooler and cold beverages that served as a "rest stop" so that cyclists could refuel and refresh during long rides. Then when Jane and Steve took over they instituted several key elements to provide the club with more structure such as starting a newsletter, officer's meetings, year end awards, criteria for club rides which included ride leaders and route sweepers, The Hot 100, The Chili Ride, and The Two County Metric as well as getting the by-laws written for the United League of Wheelmen. Steve and Jane went to several meetings/workshops to build their knowledge and to obtain these new ideas for MBC. Guy Anderson was also instrumental in helping to write those laws up (it must of helped that he was an English professor!). Kay Harvey served as president as did Al Wilson before Cary Way took over.

We should thank all past and existing officers for all their hard work and dedication in making the Murfreesboro Bike Club what it is today. A club where we can all come together and do what we love to do most - cycling on the road and trails!!

Re: Re: Looking for info on club history ... Jennifer D.

Jennifer Dooley may have some stuff that I gave her when she became Treasurer. I took it from Sarah Jane Tolbert and there were several canvas bags of old club records. I never searched them for anything. . . just assumed they were old financial things. There might be a scrapbook or articles in there that would help. Jen do you still have them?

Re: Re: Re: Looking for info on club history ... Jennifer D.

I have some old ride sheets and lots of cancelled checks. I think only back to 1997 or maybe 1994. I don't think there is anything else. I will look, though.