General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wisconsin 400k report- Good news and bad news

Howdy! Well on the 400k Wed. the elements of Wisconsin. heat (90), humidity (90+), showers, lots of hills and winds blowing 30-35 with gusts to 45 kicked my butt. Lon Haldeman told us at the rider meeting on Tuesday afternoon the first 200k of the 400k would be the hilliest ride of the week. He was right as we had hill after hill on the way out and back. Along with winds so strong when they were blowing across I had to lean into the wind to keep from being blown off the road. At the turn around the winds had shifted to where the final 65 miles back in was into a very stiff and gusting headwind. At times all I could manage to do was 10-12 mph. So when I finished the first 200k I decided I had had enough fun and packed it in. So no trip to Paris, France this year but I do plan to ride to Paris, Illinois in August. Thanks for all your notes of encouragement and thoughts as I made the attempts to qualify.
On a brighter and much more important note my daughter Susan just got the word she passed the 2nd part of here national teacher's certification test with flying colors. Now someone hire here please!
I will see you on a club ride soon, Cary

Re: Wisconsin 400k report- Good news and bad news

Thanks for the update, Cary. We are proud of your determination and efforts. We would not even attempt that let alone get as far along as you do. Sorry the conditions were not more forgiving. A good day would have been better, but we are glad to get you back home to us.

Thanks Lynn for your kind words. It is good to be home where Dianne and I celebrate 35 years of marriage on May 27th!
By the way gas in Wis. was $3.49 a gal. and in Illinois it was anywhere from $3.36 to $3.42 a gal. Never thought I would say it's good to see $2.98 a gal. here in Tn.
Cary

CARY;
GREAT ATTEMPT AT SUCH A DISTANCE. MY LONGEST RIDE IS 71 MILES. THAT WAS ONE DAY WHEN YOU AND I WERE RIDING IN THE RAIN. THAT WAS WAY BACK WHEN MARK HAD HIS LITTLE SHOP OVER BY THE COLLEGE. I ALWAYS BRAG ABOUT A GUY I KNOW THAT RIDES OVER 100 MILES AT ONE TIME. THAT GUY IS YOU............
WAY TO GO
TAGZ