General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PUT!!

Well all I am back from the big ride from the Portsmouth area in VA to DC. I think the ride was actually 240-250 miles. I unfortunately did not get to ride all of it.

The first day was 97 miles in the saddle and I completed a little over 80. I got stuck in the pedals with a patrol car on my butt trying to leave the lot and I was trying to hurry and got the front tire caught on my shoe somehow and down I went... I landed on directly on my right knee. Have a nice little battle wound and a nice swollen knee still. I kept on pushing on and almost finished the day out, but the medic told me to stop, so I did.

Day 2 was nothing but hills (worse than Crankin Cannon Co!) and I don't have the nice much needed (especially with me knee hurt) granny gears on my bike, so I could only do a little over a half of the miles. Day 2 was 60 miles and I did 30 miles, then gave the knee a rest and iced it down.

Day 3 was the big day, had to ride into the memorial in DC. It was about 70 something miles and I held back and did not ride all of it. I rode the last 30 something miles. It was physically challenging and emotionally challenging to meet the family of the officer that I rode for.

There is always next year and I will complete the ride next time!! I am also looking for a new bike (with granny gears!!! )

Anyways thank you for all the support and thoughts!

Re: PUT!!

Good job. I know you are disappointed you did not ride all of it, but be pleased with what you did accomplish. Most would not have done that much. You have a good idea now of what it will take for next time.

Re: Re: PUT!!

Way to go Kim. I know the family you were riding for appreciated what you did. Now you have a year to train and be ready for the next time! See you on the road.

Re: PUT!!

I am disappointed a little that I couldn't do the full ride, but I am amazed that I did complete what I did. The knee is still a little nasty looking, but doesn't hurt as bad. As soon as it heals a little more, I am ready to start riding again!

The family and the department that I rode for were amazing. They were such good people and totally shocked to hear how much I had done for them and their son, husband, dad, brother, friend, and coworker.

I also made so many new friends along the way. Cause when you are riding 250 to 1000 bicycles deep you never ride by the same person. The friendliness of officers from all over the states a few from Canada and one from Australia was amazing. We helped each other out from time to time as far as getting hydrated and food, medical care, confidence, boost of energy, to even the occasional push on the back to help go.

There is no way that I will miss next year!
Thanks again everyone!