General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My race in McMinnville

As you guys know, a week ago Friday I had a 'minor' crash, even though I came away with a mild concussion (helmet totaled) and some scrapes to my arm and leg. This sidelined me for a couple of days, but by Tues I was back on the bike. I was feeling well enough I thought to make this race (Cat5) so off I went.

Apparently everyone in the state was down in Chattanooga doing the 3State3Mountain charity ride, as my field was not very full, about 35 riders or so. Either that or they knew about this course and didn't choose to show. It's a 55 mile course with only one climb at mile 17, an almost perfectly flat middle, and one very long and fast descent,,that ends 1 mile from the finish, which was on a slight rise.

We began well enough, I was feeling good so I worked my way towards the front. Helped chase down some early breaks and then we hit the climb. For some reason I was near the back of the pack when we began, even though it was not my intention. Not knowing the course hurt me. I climbed well enough, keeping the leaders in sight, but when it leveled off there was no catching them, they drafted each other and bam! they were gone. I really should have tried harder to catch them as I did have some energy, but I firmly believed that the climb was going to kick up again, my steady pace would pay off, and I'd be there at the front at the end. I guess I had no choice considering where I was when the climb began and not knowing the climb itself. Sorry, but not so. That left me and a handful of riders to suffer the long 'middle'.

For a good while I gave chase to some dots on the horizon, eventually catching 2, dropping one of them, and then working together we caught 2 others. We all knew the utter frustration in trying to catch anyone else as the downhill was only a few miles off, so we cruised together (Big mistake made by me here) until it began. I should have tried to leave them, knowing how I am on descents of this kind. I knew I was the strongest of the bunch, and should have used my flat speed to my benefit.

Down we went, and although there was little wind, I was not used to the sheer speed of the descent itself. With no brakes it would be easy to hit 55mph. I sucked it up, but only 1/3 of the way down I had a gust hit me and force me to the brakes to reduce my speed to retain control. The 3 others I was descending with weren't so cautious, and zoomed past. Self preservation still reigning over me, I kept the 3 in sight as best I could until it was over.

With the finish now looming, I was realizing that my legs were jello. I could see that of the 3 riders, one was suffering on the incline towards the finish. Although I was thinking to myself that a catch was impossible, this one rider did not get inspired by the sight of the blue finish line hut like I was. I ponyed up some major horsepower and caught the guy with less than 50ft to hit the line. Whew!

All that, and the result is 28th place in my 3rd ever race. The after effects? My only slightly sore neck from the crash is now throbbing, my butt (also sore from crash) is barely able to sustain walking. I apparently ripped every healed muscle, so I am back at square one. I doubt seriously that I will be able to ride for the next few days.

I should have skipped this race and given myself a few more days to heal while only riding to stay in general shape. Also, I really should have planned some strategy for the race by knowing every inch of the climb with a scouting trip. I enjoyed the race for the experience, but I doubt that I will return to that same course. If even a small break makes it away from the top of the climb, the race is effectily over for the rest of the group, since the course presents no other obstacles that might aid anyone in chase. I should have realized this after watching the Tour over the past few years. Oh well, lessons learned!

Re: My race in McMinnville

Congratulations of your race. Glad you got right back on after your mishap. Every race will be a learning experience.