General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Route descriptions solicited

For a couple of years now I have been trying to find a good software solution to the problem of plotting routes, generating cue sheets, and printing maps. I have three mapping programs on my PC (two by Delorme and one by Microsoft) and have also experimented with several proposed web-based solutions. None have provided a total end-to-end solution to produce the kind of output I've been looking for. The closest I've been able to come is a program that does a good job of route planning/plotting but doesn't print a usable map. Others have a variety of more severe and multiple problems.

I have finally solved the problem to my satisfaction by using Delorme TopoUSA to plan/plot routes and gen cue sheets, and scanning relevant pages from the Delorme Gazeteer into PhotoShop to produce a good printable route map. I can then combine the output (cue sheet and map) into a one or two page PDF document that anyone can download and print using the free Adobe reader.

All that background to say that I am now in a position to produce the kind of route library that I have envisioned and several members have been asking for for some time now.

To that end, I'm asking that anyone who would like to contribute send me descriptions of their favorite routes. These descriptions can be in any format and as vague or as detailed as you have. I'll work them out and convert them to a standardized cue sheet/map format, then send the final PDF file to Eric for inclusion in a ride library on the web site.

"And as always, we thank you for your continued support"

- Ed

Re: Route descriptions solicited

Can we put the Bartles and James logo on that?

Re: Re: Route descriptions solicited

Oh wait I have to be my alter ego for Sarah...now can we put B and J on there?

Re: Re: Route descriptions solicited

I wondered who'd catch that!

Re: Re: Re: Route descriptions solicited

i watched too much TV as a kid