General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Member input solicited - web page links to other rides

Membership -

I get a lot of requests from ride promoters asking that we put a link or other info of their ride on our website. Some are major rides, some are pretty minor; some are nearby, some in other states . . .

We don't really have a firm policy to determine what rides we advertise/link/promote/endorse/etc. I'd like to establish a policy to guide us on this.

Under the current website design, these rides would be listed under "Ride Calendar" --> "Area Events" and we've been pretty open about honoring any requests from other ride promoters.

Do you feel there should be limits on what gets listed on the club website? If so, what do you think the policy should be?

I'm not trying to push any particular policy or limitation -- just trying to garner some input to establish a policy, even if that policy is "honor all requests without prejudice."

Thanks for your input.

- Ed

Re: Member input solicited - web page links to other rides

I'm gonna say no limits on that one ED.and say BLOGS BLOGS BLOGS..you gotta start somewhere right? I think any and all is great..since thats our membership base right and what a rider stays with or moves on to right? Why would we want to limit anyone??(I'll always remember Ed and Dorothy kicking my tail up Spantown - ok I walked) Some folks race..some don't (depending on mood) ..some need road..some need mtb (depending on mood)..some need tandem..some easy..some hilly..Aren't we just all moody? (yes I know thats just me) I honestly don't think one person as president or one person as webdev can keep up with it all. You all have been doing a great and spectacular job though. I love whats going on new this year. You might need to be the good manager that I know you are and allocate a club rides person...race person..tandem person..Ultra rider person..womens ride? juniors ride? .it goes on and on but I think there are enough folks with interest to help. I know there are a few social folks that would just love to organize social events after a ride/event (especially those with asthma like me!!). Maybe organize club discount somewhere?? I can help with racing some since I am tied to TBRA with Velo Bella...Olga has helped me so much too and is a great resource. I get the schedule and know some of the locales on road and mtb for anyone who wants to get started..TBRA is working on alot of things right now to make some good changes I hope....also know a good coach or two now...(not to mention triathletes - whoa another branch off the tree) ...yet lots of them here!! Anywho.. But if the club is going to grow I think that will help alot. With the size of our gorgeous county and how much its grown I know our presence is greater than what is represented here. I mean come on there are like 3 formal club rides here this month with that tour de boro, TCM, and that cannon county just down the road..thats not far. I don't know of another county that busy!! I honestly wish we had some painted regular routes out there as our standard so our presence is well known.. So folks like Ms Kim can just come ride even if they have to work late.. I think a blog is in our future of some type ( takes alot of weight off a webmaster and a Prez too for latest info!!) ..I can see them already..the tri blog..the club blog..the century a month blog ..the whatever blog..the I need help with my stinking new polar blog and all its new features..heck in the winter I hear of so many cross training events such as hikes and stuff that never get posted (if only I'd known yes I'd be at that cabin last new years eve!!!) ..( oh and don't get me started on cyclocross - the mix of everything!) imagine all who don't see that? lets face it we cycle and thats how we meet..but we do so much more beyond that!! No Limits!!!1 (new motto??) Juniors seems to be an interest in getting that going after talking to Sabrina and Evan and Yvonne and Chris..the painted routes might cater to that?? Or the Green way the Police say we should use more? Or how about talking to the city about signage?? Would Christiana support that or any other small town for growth funding? (how long we been doing Millers Grocery? We need some Gold and Blue signs out here now!) I hope we can step outside the box here as a club and become a community to service anyone who wants to grow and experience cycling at its fullest for the most it has to offer. I can help with racing and possibly some Smyrna riding meetings one night a week for a month or so if that sounds like a good census..maybe Stewart Creek..the YMCA...or something off Florence.. Now that MTSU has had some experience with us hope we can keep that relationship longterm..it really benefits us...that is so neat by the way going to talk to the class !! This will help make our presence greater with the county and hopefully get our riders more respect... Whether its a solo cyclist, family, racer, or spectator..This county has it all from club rides to races and its own Bikeshop ...not many places are as fortunate. Ok now..thats alot Mr Prez.. Hope it spurs some ideas within others so see what the major needs/desires might be.

Re: Re: Member input solicited - web page links to other rides

Sounds like you're thinking in terms of this forum. That is and will remain totally unmoderated and self-policing. I was thinking about the 'featured' or 'area' events area of the web site. Again, I have no firm feelings, but when I start to get email solicitations that we post a link for some minor ride being held 500 miles from M'boro I really don't want Eric to spend time adding that to the page, but then I start to wonder where *do* we draw the line?

I'm with you on all that Joy! I think there should be 'No limitations...Only inspiration'
Post it all and give everyone a chance to participate. (mtb. rides, junior rides, hikes, weekend events, social/commuity activities etc.) It's all fun and good depending on what your looking for. People stop me all the time when they see me with my bike on my van and ask me about cycling. I always give them some encouragement to come out and ride. I tell them if I can do it they can do it. I think there are lots of people out there who want to ride, but don't know where to start. My mom even rode her bike over to my house tonight and there was mention of my dad wanting to borrow a bike?? Hmmm.... Maybe their starting to figure out this is fun and I don't just enjoy running around in tight bike shorts and jerseys?
Chris

Re: Re: Member input solicited - web page links to other rides

Thats great!!

Oh I said BLOGS but I think I meant message board too....our Bella boards are divided up by interests...the BLOGS are more of a fun way to show whats going on ..

Re: Re: Re: Member input solicited - web page links to other rides

My only comment is to ask the webmaster. How much time does it take to add these to the website?
Eric and Sabrina are doing a great job and I would not want to see us over taxing their valuable time. If it is no big deal, be honest Eric, to them I'm with Joy and Chris.
James

I would like to see all avalible area ride/event options posted here rather then searching them out individually, but also realize that for every fun downhill (our convenience) there comes a climb (the extra pressure on club staff).

Check out www.nashvillecyclist.com This is Tim Hall's website. He is a local racer and coach of the Cumberland University Cycling team. He does allot of research into all cycling events in the Southeast and has lists for them..............

The downside is the work involved in keeping up with it. Posting a link to the Charity Rides on the www.nashvillecyclist.com site would be an easy way to do it and it appears to be a fairly exhaustive list.

Depending on how it was done, the link could go to that site or we could give credit to that site. If there's somebody dedicated to maintaining such a list, why not take advantage of it?