General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Member input requested - Easy Rider program

One of the things the club officers have struggled with over the years is how to get more membership involvement in the decision making process. While various schedules and formats of open membership meetings have been tried, a variety of factors have prevented them from being as effective as we would desire. To that end, I'd like to try a totally different approach. Beginning with this posting, I am going to try to use this board to initiate membership discussion and input on specific topics being discussed by the officers.

The topic of discussion for this thread is the "Easy Rider" program.

A few years ago Ann Rogers started and headed up the concept of regularly scheduled rides specifically targeted for riders looking for somewhat less mileage (usually in the 15 to 20 mile range) and a slower pace. Not necessarily beginners (though they make good beginners rides as well) but people who don't want to make distance and pace of the bulk of our regular ride participants. Ann did a very good job of planning and supervising the routes, and the rides had good participation, but after she moved to France, the club found it difficult to keep this program viable.

This week we had a long-time club member who is looking to change the pace of her own riding volunteer to head up this program. To help give some direction, I am solciting comments and ideas from the membership - especially those who desire this type of ride - on how to make this program successful and increase total ridership.

Comments, anyone?

Re: Member input requested - Easy Rider program

I don't mind helping out with the Easy Rider program. It depends on my schedule (or should I say my kids schedule )
My main thoughts are that I don't like to ride alone because of safety issues and I hate to have someone have to stay back and wait on me. I know a lot of you don't mind, but it makes me feel bad to slow you down.
On the weekends I do prefer rides that are 20+ miles. I like long distances, but don't seem to be able to ride at a faster pace.
Who else is an easy rider in the group?
Any other thoughts?
How about a Sunday afternoon easy ride?

Chris-Fast Pace Wanna be!

I never knew Ann. How did she set up the Easy Rider program? Where are the people that rode with her? Did she lead every Easy Ride?
Just wondering--

I suggest each ride have a designated person for the easy rides. We can rotate. Maps would be good. I wouldn't mind riding easy from Christiana but had trouble making it to Ed and Dorthy's house last year due to work. I am not very good with the roads and would not want to get anyone lost- I don't think that would be too encouraging to have the leader lost and the newcomer doing a 40 mile ride the first time. Ask Lynn. My 20 mile rides turn into 30 and 40 when I know the roads.

I have been on almost all of the rides at some time or another. Most of the rides are not for beginners. I can hang with most but my wife wants to ride and she cannot. During the week I wish the rides started around 6PM . Some of us work in Nashville. I want to be an active member and rider.

Pat,
I think you're the Pat I rode with before? Tell your wife to come ride with me! She can e-mail me.
I would also like to have my son start riding. Of course his mom will only let him out on roads with very little traffic to start.
Just a thought-- Could the easy riders start out earlier than the fast group? (20-30 minutes)That way maybe (unless you pass us) we would finish about the same time?
How about some weekend ENDURANCE RIDES? For people who want more than 15-20 miles, but at slower pace? I just want to ride, not join the tour

The Schmidt's will be 'Easy Riding' on Sundays (Saturdays are a different story). Hana has a single bike this season and Ethan will be stoking for me on a tandem. We have been planing Sunday for Junior rides. Usually, the rides have alternate short routes.

Sounds Good! I need to talk to you about getting my son into cycling. He needs a road bike. Anyone have one to sell to a 13 year old?
Chris & Bradley