General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Share the Road

Some dnj reporters have come out to rides. The photos of Larry Kirk and Cindy Carlton were taken at club rides and some members were interviewed. But that was last year, and I am not sure how much safety was discussed.

Re: Share the Road

I've decided to not worry about it anymore and just go for a ride.

Not to worry? We're having to move further out to get good riding. Rides from both Kimbro & Osborne/Emery were moved because of congestion. Lynn talks about when traffic was light enough to routinely leave from Mitchell Neilson. Contrary to attitudes of some drivers, having only 2 wheels doesn't qualify you to become a target. It would be great if we could develop a ground swell of bike riding & support. How?

The photos of Larry and Cindy were taken last week on a ride I lead leaving from Cannonsburgh trailhead. He took many more then what was in the paper. We asked what they were for and he only said the DNJ was doing an article on Bicycle Safety. In fact the phtographer used to ride with the club years ago.
Cary

No one from the DNJ has contacted me. I was formulating ideas for a response, but after reading the responses that were already posted on their website, I decided to avoid getting into what usually just turns into a spitting match.

I think the worst thing in the DNJ stories was the single quote from Police Lt. Alvin Baird, suggesting that the bike lanes and greenways were good alternatives to riding on the roads. My fear is that it sounds like a bit of 'blame the victim' and could be taken as such by some motorists. I'm still considering writing a response directly to Lt. Baird about that, but I want to make sure I have it calm and well reasoned. I'd also like to give him the benefit of the doubt. The Alicia Pickett article was pretty poorly written, aside from the merits of anyone's point of view. I'm sure each quoted person had much more to say and all quotes were pretty much out of context.

Yes, we are being pushed further and further out. But that is because the type of riding we do simply doesn't lend itself to urban areas even if 100% of the motorists were 100% bike friendly. Let's not confuse the problems of urban growth with the problems of anti-bicycle motorists.

Conjestion will grow. Any suggestions?

It's problems of urban growth in conjunction with anti bicycle motorists that will be the problem. Riding in Chicago in the 70s was more conjested but motorists accepted that we were there & didn't feel a wreck was what we deserved for stupidly believing that we should be allowed on the road.

Re: Conjestion will grow. Any suggestions?

I believe it's a difference in culture. Midwestern culture is more tolerant of others than what I've come to experience in the South. That doesn't mean they respect cyclists' rights more, just that they tolerate us on the road better. You see more slow moving farm machinery on the roads up there than cyclists most days.

The bicycle isn't seen as a toy there, but a valid means of transportation, and generally used by the lower income. Bike commuting is very prevailent in many of the small farm towns, but mostly on wal-mart brand bikes and no helmets.

Larger Midwestern metropolitan areas suffer from similar runins as we see here though, comes from people in too big of a hurry, too distracted from cell phones, traffic delays causing road rage, and from general lack of respect for your fellow man.

Rural and urban road/developments seem to be better planned out up there as well. All roads are in a clean grid pattern allowing for myriad roads to get you from A to B. Tennessee with it's mountains and hilly terrain seems to have been paved from cattle trails and old settler mountain passes. At times there are only a few roads to get from A to B. Add that to the urban growth and you've got a hot spot for tension.

The two sides will never agree to see eye to eye, all we can hope for is that toleration will grow.

This rambling has been based on my experience growing up Midwest and over the course of my 10 years in Nashville. Any reproduction or rebroadcast of this message without written consent of the NFL is strictly prohibited. Thoughts and opinions written above are not necessarily those of the producers of this content. Allergy notice: Made with Peanuts.

Vive la gravel!

If Junkman is saying he remembers the 70's....he is lying. nobody his age truly remembers the 70's.....

Vive la gravel to you too Thad! So does that mean you're going to Rouge Roubaiux.

Those were the days

days when the walls were such pretty colors. They moved too.

Re: Those were the days--nights

You know you guys sure complain and b.... and moan alot. Last night I was contemplating these posts as I was riding the old Landshark down Broad Street with the wind in my hair, Hendrix blasting the "Watchtower" in my ears, and my loose clothing flapping in the breeze. You know I really should fix my brakes.
...can I at least get a comment on my witty sarcasm?

Hey Woodbury Man, you forgot to say that you were riding against the traffic.

i think we should invite all local cyclists to the greenway for a ride to show how inadequate it would be if many more road riders would use it.

Yeah, against traffic with a tall budweiser in the bottle cage...

Thanks David, I needed some feedback!

Hey, don't forget some Woodbury Meth!!