General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Death March V2

Thad,
I really don't think we will be making it but I would like to have the link to the Iowa ride you are doing.
A very small might see you Sunday.
James

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

A small group of us Trans Iowa idiots are planning the second installment of our "death march" training rides this Sunday if any of you long haul truckers are interested. Mileage will be in the 135-140 range. Prepare to spend 12 hours or so riding, so bring food, lights, clothing, money, and a note from your psychologist.

Cue sheets will be handed out upon arrival at the start point that morning. The sheets indicate turns, but are otherwise mostly vague. We should have at least one map in the group incase the streets are not marked and we get lost. You will mostly have an idea of where you are at all times, though. There will be the occasional convenience store on the route, so bring some cash (not all those places take plastic). The goal is not speed, but consistency, but if you feel like killing it and trying to finish in 8 hours, feel free. Bring a cell phone in case you get lost. The course does include gravel, but does not include offroad trails. It is mostly on the road, with hills for your enjoyment.

The main group will be meeting at Bongo Java near Belmont, but those of you in the 'boro can meet me at the farm in Franklin if you'd like.

Date: Sunday Jan. 21st, 2007
Time: Meet around 8am. Roll out by 8:30

If you're interested let me know on the board by Friday 5PM, as I don't have internet once I leave work, and I'll get you directions to the farm.

Re: Re: Death March V2

Howdy James!
Here's the link: Trans Iowa V3

A Very Big hope to see you Sunday.

Thad

Re: Re: Re: Death March V2

thad,
how did it go?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Death March V2

wet, really wet, and cold. We didn't make the whole distance due to hands and feet freezing. Definitely have to step up the equipment purchases to handle cold and wet. We're thinking that it'll be impossible to maintain dry or waterproofability over a 30 hour period if the weather is as it was Sunday: soaking rain and 33 degrees. So trying to come up with solutions to keep warm even when wet. I got some wool liners to try in my amphib gloves and some kayak socks to try to keep warm. My wool socks worked well until the wind hit them and my toes froze. Definitely a learning experience. Oh, and disc brakes rock for wet riding!!

Had it been colder, it would have been sleet or snow and we would have been ok. Any warmer, we would have had wet parts but not froze so quickly. The cusp of frozen vs wet temps got the better of our equipment, or lack there of. Our cores, legs, and heads were solid, hands and feet were the weak links. Very weak.

Any cold & wet weather riding advise from you more experienced riders?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Death March V2

Stay In!!