General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Membership

Saturday, I replaced my damaged Snell-approved (Specialized brand) helmet with a Bell helmet (USCPSC compliant, but not Snell- or ANSI- approved). It occurred to me that, to ride with MBC, I have agreed to use as Snell or ANSI approved helmet. Do I have to go back to the Specialized? I can't find and ANSI- approved helmet.

Re: Membership

David, I got your renewal from the PO Box this week. Nancy says you are on the mend, good!
To answer your question on the helmet I am sure any helmet manufactured by Bell, Giro, etc. all meet the latest safety requirements, excepting time trial types. So I would aay you are fine. It is most likely our membership form, etc. that needs updating. IMHO
Cary

Re: Re: Membership

Cary, I posed a similar question to the Harpeth guys, since they have a similar ANSI requirement. I got an education and a web link. The bottom line is that CSTC superceded ANSI several years ago. I don't think it legal to sell a non-CSTC helmet in the US, so it is probably not even necessary to require a type of standard.

I must have hit my head at least a little, since the Specialized brand helmet I was wearing was cracked a bit on the temple area and had to be disposed of. So let us assume that it would have been much worse without some headgear.

www.helmets.org/standard.htm

Re: Re: Membership

I had nothing to say on this. I was just reading the message and next thing I know, there I am.

Re: Re: Re: Membership

I thought your first reply was one of the most intelligent things I'd ever heard you say!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Membership

Don't dispose of the damaged helmet just yet if you haven't already. I know that in years past some manufacurers would replace a helmet damaged in a crash for free if you provide details on what happened so they could do research and development.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Membership

I tried that - Specialized doesn't. I did not find written evidence that Bell or Giro does. It could depend on the retailer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Membership

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Membership

bad sport

I tried to renew on active.com but it still says 2006? Do I just need to do it via po box or will active eventually get updated?

Active.com has been updated for 2007 membership. Everyone start renewing now!

Cary

Thanks Cary, I just used active.com without any problems!