361st FG Message Board

361st FG Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lt. Loren Montgomery

For those who might remember him, Loren Montgomery died of natural causes yesterday (Sept 15, 2008) in Taylorville. I am the webmaster for EAA Chapter 1315 in Taylorville, IL to which Loren was a member for years. His EAA number was 2XX. They are now up around 750,000.
Loren was active in his attendance up until last year and played a "supervisory" role at our 6 yearly fly-in breakfast.
He will be missed.

Re: Lt. Loren Montgomery

Jim :
Thank you so much for notifying all of Loren's passing. He was quite a guy, and as you said, he will be missed. Wonder if he ever told you the story of how he escaped detection at a French frmhouse on the dy he augered in on a mission. Hilarious !!
I will notify Loren's flymates and tha members of our Group at the reunion next week in San Antonio, and he will be remembered during the moment of silence for departed members, and his name will be published in out newsletter and the 8 AFHS NEWS>.
My condolences to all loren's family and friends.
Joe Redden, Sec'y.
361st FGA

Obituary in Taylorville Paper
9/17/2008 7:24:00 AM Email this article • Print this article
Obituaries for September 16, 2008
Loren L. Montgomery

Sept. 11, 1921 - Sept. 15, 2008

Loren Lloyd Montgomery, 87, of Taylorville died Monday, September 15, 2008.

He was born September 11, 1921, in rural Edinburg, the son of Lloyd and Eleanora Kruckeberg Montgomery. He was a graduate of Stonington Community High School. He was a World War II veteran with the 374 Squadron, 361st Fighter Group, Eighth Air Force, stationed in England. He was shot down while flying a P51 Delta near Orleans on August 13, 1944, surviving due to the care of a French farm family. He also served in the Pacific where he studied jet engines. He returned to the United States and was reassigned to the Philippines. After World War II, he continued in the Air Force Reserves. He retired as a Lt. Col. He was a member of the Retired Air Force Officers Association. Upon return to civilian life, he farmed with his father, was a crop duster, a salesman and over-the-road truck driver for many years. He was a member of Edinburg Lutheran Church.

Surviving are his sister, Myra Critz of Tulsa, OK; niece, Lisa Critz of Tulsa, OK; nephews: Keith Kightlinger of Tifton, GA, Carl Critz and Robert Critz, both of Tulsa, OK, and Brian Critz of Broken Arrow, OK; one great-niece; and two great-nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents; and siblings: Ellen Kightlinger and Lorene Miley.

Funeral services will be held at noon Friday, September 19, in Shafer Funeral Home. Burial will be in Grove City Cemetery.

Visitation will be held for one hour prior to services Friday in the funeral home

Jim,

I just heard about Loren and was going to post something on this page. Thanks for taking care of it. We will all miss him.

Marty

OK, Marty - Nice hearing from you.
Jim

Loren will be missed. God Bless him and his family