General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cyclist hit in Murfreesboro

Timothy Martin was an MTSU student and president of the MTSU Triathlon Sport Club.

Re: Cyclist hit in Murfreesboro - Investigation

I have been assured by Police Chief Chrisman that a full investigation of this tragic event is being undertaken by the "Fatal Accident Crash Team (FACT). Fatal accident crashes are extensively investigated and reviewed, up to and including a review by members of the District Attorney’s staff, when there are questions concerning criminal violations and/or the potential prosecution of such cases."

Question to you who live in that area - are there street lights on North Rutherford near Belle Aire Baptist Church? Is there a curve in the road in that area that would prevent one from seeing someone crossing the road at night?

Thanks for your help. I'll keep you updated as I hear more.

Sarah

It "looks" like it was near Church Of Christ. Check 1300 block on googlemaps. There is a side street that may be where the squad cars are in the pics. Road in that area appears to be a 4 lane, straight with a median.

The story said he was attempting to cross (walk) which makes him a pedestrian and not at the time a cyclist. Very strange that a car couldn't avoid if only going 30 mph.

About 10 years ago I lived in the apartments across from Belle Aire Baptist Church. I ran Rutherford Boulevard toward Campus and back on the sidewalk and shoulder at 5:00 AM. I can assure you it is well lit. Street lights are on the entire length of that road. There is a small bend in the road right past Belle Aire before you get to the traffic light at Lascasass Pike. However, there are two new, additional traffic lights in that little stretch of road. One is before St. Mark Methodist church at Gold Valley Drive and the other new traffic light is at the entrance to the side of Kroger Center (that sits at corner of Lascassas and Rutherford) at the curve in the road. So at 8:30 PM, there should have been plenty of light.

Kellee