General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: smartphone app for ride directions?

Thanks for the reply, I'm new to smartphone, but liking tracking ability so far. Just seemed like the next logical step, but not sure if it could track, and route me at same time anyway. This will be my first HOT, so I was a bit worried about the turns, but will carry a cue sheet just in case. I ride a flat bar, and usually find myself seperated enough (slow) in Clarksville century, that I can't follow others. Thanks again.

Just follow the ORANGE marks for whatever distance you want

We've seen people start out just fine then switch colors for some strange reason. I think there are marks no more than ~ 2mi apart (3 mi without is unlikely). You'll also have sag support.

Re: Just follow the ORANGE marks for whatever distance you want

will do, thanks - gonna do the 100 (I think...)...

Maybe not a good place to ask in this thread, but other than the write up on homepage, any map/cue sheet that identifies the rest stops for the century, from the write up, it looks like 3 or 4 total? - thanks!

I have CueSheet app for Android. It will download RideWithGPS routes and show turns. Version I have does not do audible announce. The problem with using this on a phone is that you need to leave display on constantly and battery drains quickly.

Thanks, I'll check that out, makes sense that screen on would kill battery, guess I didn't full think it through. I actually used my car nuvi garmin last year, just for tracking route/speed/etc - if I put the screen brightness at 0 (un-viewable), it would last about 6.5 hours - just a bit shy of my overall clarksville century last fall (first 100 for me). Of course, some riders joked about me riding with a laptop on my handlebars, but it worked....

Thanks!

According to Ride with GPS there is an APP called Velodroid that will do what you are looking for. I checked the market and there is a free and pay version. Not sure if it will do the trick. About all I know on this one because I use a Garmin 705 on my rides.

thanks

strava doesnt do what you are asking for
but is an excellent app