General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Volunteering

Bill,

Sarah knows me better than you. We have an understanding as to how I stand.

George

HBC has utilized a google group email list that has facilitated alternative rides (to the posted club outings) for many years now, and that club is thriving. A lesson should be taken from that.

I just looked at the HBC site they do not have a public message board such as this. There may be one hidden under there password protected section of their website. Unless I missed it. Before, our message board the club utilized a phone tree for alternative rides.

Bill G.

Bill,

It's a Google Group. It functions either as a message board or an email list depending on how you set it up for yourself.

http://harpethbikeclub.com/email-lists

Again, they've had this for years and it seems to work for them since people don't have to necessarily browse to an actual web site to see if there are ride options posted. If you sign up, you'll actually see where a member has recently asked if there are other options to the club ride because it was too far away for them.... with no objections.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on HBC or their particular model. I'm just showing what they do 'officially' in addition to their calendar rides.

Re: "Rant" about posting rides.

I want to thank the club officers for all they do to administer the club and to promote cycling. They, along with those who volunteer to lead rides, work events, and various other activities, donate their time and effort to make the club better. We may sometimes have disagreements over how things should be done, but we should discuss those issues in a respectful and productive manner.

I have found the officers receptive to ideas and suggestions. As members, we have to be willing to make suggestions and contribute. We cannot expect the officers to do everything. I feel strongly that if we present a problem for discussion we should also be prepared to offer a solution and be willing to work towards that solution.

A "rant", or speaking in a wild or vehement way, is often counter-productive and does nothing to resolve that about which one declaims. If the goal is to develop a means of posting alternative rides or developing rules for when these rides may be posted there are better ways of doing so. Suggestions can be made to the officers or brought up at meetings. Rules may then be developed and adopted to govern this issue.