General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cyclist killed in Coffee County

Time to fire of some more emails...

Them ****ed bicycles

can't see them so just run over them. Ought not be on the road ennyway.

Unbelievable except it is happening frequently. Guy was left in the ditch on Old Nashville, Another killed in Chatt a while ago, Jay was nailed a couple of years ago at Sharpsville.

What happened to the requirement that the driver control the car?

Define Accident -

As I have received more details about this case - it sounds as if this truly was an unavoidable accident - everyone in the wrong place at the wrong time - the driver - a nurse going home from work - topped a hill, just as the family of cyclists were at the top of the hill - and the evening sun just completely blinded her.

Not sure that you can "charge" anyone for that....I know for me - trying to turn left onto Rucker Lane off of hwy 96 anywhere between 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. leaves me blinded - the setting sun hangs right between the traffic lights, and I cannot see the turn signal for love nor money.

And what would the charges be? The new Due Care Law? Perhaps that's applicable - and I would imagine there are civil charges that can be filed for accidental death.

Lots of "what ifs" on this case - but all in all, terribly sad for all involved.

Ya'll be careful out there.

I don't buy it

I've ridden this road and just reviewed the entire road again on Streetview. There don't appear to be any blind hills. Where there are hills at all, there is dense tree cover on both sides of the road that would likely block the sun. Also, the only significant hills are where the road runs north/south.

That is a perfect road for cycling that any of us would seek out. The family needs to demand the police collect the cell phone records of the driver. I hope the family demands a full investigation instead of allowing the police to accept the SIDSY story.

Re: I don't buy it

Glad I am not the only one. Again, it is the word of the person who hit them vs a family who never saw them coming! I hope that is was just an accident. However, if this person is not being truthful than I hope it comes out. I too think there should be further investigation rather than taking the motorist at their word. What can I say, I don't trust most people to be forthcoming in a situation like this.

WTF!!

Hit an automobile vehicle that is on the road in front of you & you pay for damages. Hit a cycling vehicle & you exclaim "oops didn't see it" & go on your merry way???

Re: WTF!!

I agree. You would be held responsible for the vehicle in front of you even if you rear-ended it due to being blinded by the sun! I realize accidents happen and sometimes they are caused by sun glare but you are still responsible for your vehicle, correct?

More Investigation

I have asked the investigative reporter, Dennis Farrier, w/ WSMV, to explore further. He's been a true champion for cyclists. I'll keep you informed as I hear other information.

I've also involved Bike Walk TN who are very good a putting pressure on THP and DA's in cases like this.

Stay tuned.

Re: I don't buy it

I have to say that I have a problem with this entire situation. Mostly because if they had been walking down the road the driver would be in jail waiting for a trial. Also did anyone see the damage to the front of that van? She must have been moving quite fast for that amount of damage to happen. I think they need to look a little closer into this because if this continues I either need to up my life insurance or quit riding.