General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Did you see this little gem in the Tennessean Wednesday?

Kellee, your reaction to this only proves you are much too intelligent to read the Tennessean. I stopped a long time ago and I feel much better.

Unfortunately, your post caused me to click on the link and read the letter to the editor from Jason Parrish of Eagleville. I almost immediately relapsed into my former Tennessean-reader depression and thought of posting a comment to the letter. Fortunately, I quickly recovered and came up with another idea. We should schedule a group ride to Jason's home in Eagleville where we can conduct an intervention. Unlike most interventions I suggest we bring barbeque and beverages - I have found that no one gets angry over a plate of barbeque or pie - and maybe we could even take him on a ride to share our joy of riding. I'm not saying he will start wearing spandex shorts and colorful jerseys, but he may at least understand us a little better. Jason seems to be concerned about safety and also cautions motorists to be careful. He just doesn't understand that we do not want to be restricted to greenways any more than motorists want to be restricted to parking lots.

Seriously, I think the best thing we can do is follow the rules of the road and try to be as courteous towards drivers as we want them to be towards us. I admit I struggle with this at times when someone passes me too closely, yells an obscenity or throws something at me. We just have to keep trying and continue to make efforts to educate the public. Let's start at Jason's house.

The Brisket Summit. Done properly, it could be a great idea.

I appreciate that he researched the law and cautioned both cyclist and motorist to take care.

I've also received a complaint from a family that lives on Hill Road - off Patterson - where we ride frequently on Tuesday nights. I've attempted to reach them for a conversation, but they have yet to answer my call.

But I will reiterate what David S. says - we as cyclist have to obey the rules of the road - whether we're on a narrow windy country road, or a greenway, or a 4 lane with wide shoulders. Be aware of traffic around you and ride as far to the right as is practicable - do not ride more than two across - and move as quickly to single file as possible when a car approaches from behind.

Unless we respect motorist first, we will never gain their respect. A rude cyclist gives us all a bad name.

Sarah

Another view

It is the (other) cars that are in the way (mine never is). That is true regardless of whether I am on a bike, car or whatever.

I have yet to see a traffic jam caused by or consisting of bicycles. There are plenty of jams caused by cars. One can look daily at the corners of Broad and Memorial or Cason Lane and Old Fort for proof. Do you see cars or bicycles? How about cars? Which cause the congestion?

When I drive out Halls Hill Pike there have been 2 or 3 cyclists on the road riding between 10 & 20 mph. They have never delayed me more than 30 seconds or so. They are easier to pass than a car especially when riding 2 abreast as they are not strung out down the road. I pass them like I would a car or tractor - When it is safe to do so on the other side of the road.

Regarding narrow twisty roads with no shoulders, cyclists are slow relative to cars. This means that they are in view for plenty of time to see them regardless of hills or curves. The only exception is when I come up on a cyclist from the opposite direction. Then I may not see them but this is only a problem if they are riding in my lane on the other side of the road into oncoming traffic. It would also be a problem if I (car driver) were inattentive and chose to drive into oncoming traffic.

Regarding driver respect, I was recently in SC. There were lots of cyclists on bikes ranging from high end road bikes to KMart specials. Many riding groups consisted of families including children. Drivers were respectful because there were so many cyclists and because they or family members or friends cycled, not because the cyclists were unobtrusive or obeyed the road rules more than TN cyclists obey.

My observation is that other than floating a stop sign most distance road cyclists are within the law. Drivers also roll through stop signs. This actually helps traffic flow. Those that have a problem with it and want to nit pick should get a life or perhaps volunteer to become a stop sign ticket writer.

I see some cyclists in town who still believe that they should ride against traffic. Many of this group appear to use their bike as their primary transportation form. Some education is appropriate - but again, they are not a major impediment to traffic. (See paragraph 2 for the major traffic halters.)

Perhaps the lazy driving cars who are upset by cyclists should save money spent on over eating and buy a bike. (Can you say TN obesity?) With fewer cars on the road, we wouldn't have to spend as much re-paving streets and health care costs would decline as these new riders shed weight.

Sarah, You are spot on with your comments! It is a huge sign of disrespect not to go single file when a driver approaches from behind.

Not trying to hyjack the thread, sort of related..
Check out Johnny Hoogerlands'& Flechas' crash in the tour a couple of days ago.
http://youtu.be/mYPDAry-A-s

Johnny needs a 38

T