General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Comfort Zone Ride - Saturday 7am - Lascassas Baptist Church

Oops! My bad! Please excuse my fast typing. I meant to say we go <13 mph. No one is left behind. I'm usually the slowest one, and I'm never left behind. We'd rather make friends than be speedsters. Anywho, please join us. We have lots of fun in the sun!

Susan B

Perhaps to a point we are pushing the edge of the envelope on these rides. However, we are still maintaining the true spirit of the Comfort Zone. One goal of the Comfort Zone is to give riders a slower paced or a shorter distance ride. When compared to the 13+ MPH average, the 32 mile medium route or the 50 mile long route, the bigger hills, and the dropped rider potential of the regular ride we definetly meet the purpose of this ride. Another goal of this ride is to challenge the rider a little bit. Ultimately moving the riders target Comfort Zone as the rider gets stronger and more excited about cycling. Perhaps allowing the rider the ability to move up to the longer club rides if the rider wishes.

By starting the CZ ride at locations other than where the main club ride starts it affords the CZ ride a chance to be on roads with less traffic than the ones sometimes offered by the regular ride. One example is starting the CZ ride from Blackman High School. While the CZ ride has started there in the past (I've even led CZ rides from there). The traffic volume is greater there than some of the other rural locations preferred by the this group (this does not mean that we will not ride from Blackman High School). Also, by starting at separate locations you do not end up with the new rider that wants to do the Comfort Zone ride but gets confused and goes out on the long ride only to be dropped, lost and discouraged (it's happened). Finally, we start from a different location due to the fact we ride in a particular area over and over. One example is when the regular club ride starts in Rockvale. The CZ group rides there on Wednesday nights. When the main ride leaves from there I tend to move the CZ to another location to ride some different roads. This is why the CZ ride started at Wilson Elem. last week and will start at Lascassas Baptist this week.

Notice how many ride choices you have this weekend.
1) two day touring trip to Henry Horton State Park
2) long club ride of 50+ miles medium route of 32 miles
3) CZ ride 25 miles. With a great and spirited group.
4) Recovery ride on Sunday

So, if you like cycling and a plethora of choices, then this is your weekend.

Ultimately, riding a bicycle and enjoying doing so is the true spirit of the CZ ride.

Sorry for getting so long winded but I am passionate about the CZ rides. As well as the group of riders that come out to these rides. This ride has seen it's numbers grow over the past couple of years and I would like to see that momentum continue.

Bill G.
CZ Ride Coordinator

Thanks, Bill, for your enthusiasm for the CZers. We really appreciate it! Your patience with me on the trails is humbling. Were it not for your leadership and friendship I would be long gone. Have a blessed trip to Florida and hope to see ya soon!

Susan

xxx - if you are worried about the pace, please let one of us know, and we will be sure to ride with you. We want your experience to be a good one.

The Comfort Zone is a great place to get started into cycling!

Thank you Bill and Susan for all that you do to keep the group moving forward!