Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starting with 5th grader...behind in math

Where would you start? She's 10, has good number sense and understands the concepts well. She has used Singapore and Math Mammoth. But, she can NOT get her facts down, and I'm not talking multiplication. I mean even addition and subtraction. She's doing better with multiplication than anything. She understands place value, she can explain and teach it as well as concepts like all 4 operations, fractions,...she isn't into multiplying one digit by two digits yet and therefore not far into division either. Just the simple one by one right now. She does not get time...it gives her such trouble (elapsed time, concept of time throughout daily activities, and still has trouble telling time with analog clock), and though she knows place value and can skip count, she can't start at the 6 on the clock and count by 5s from there for time...or add a whole ten to another number (58+20) without several seconds of thought and talking herself through it. Usually she needs a hint that she just counts up two tens. Even just a few more or less is hard for her (43+3, 43-3). She has trouble deciding what operations to use for word problems and really thrives with the bar diagrams Singapore uses that make it so visual (which we are just really getting into). It really helps her see it...IF I were to start her in RS this year, where would she be best placed?

She seems to be a visual learner. Though she also likes some independence so she can think through things in her own time, but she needs to pick up speed, and is a dawdler! She does LIKE singapore math, which is a plus. She's moving through 3A right now to review and cement some things and adjust to the method. She also has sensory integration disorder and mild auditory processing issues, and ADD (mostly impulsivity). I've been told she is gifted, though she's not been tested and I have no intentions of testing, so I'd just say she is very bright. Advanced reader and large vocabulary, fast learner on most things, can memorize most anything she reads or hears(except math facts ) I know I want to at least use the abacus activities and games with her, and have considered letting her by my "teacher assistant" to help teach my rising K'er who I am seriously considering starting in RS A.
Help!

Re: Starting with 5th grader...behind in math

Hi, mom24. My name is Rachel and I am happy to answer some of your questions.

It sounds like you have a very bright girl with just a little learning gliche - or block with math memorization. I have a couple suggestions for you that I think will help you and your daughter.

First, if you are looking for a whole new curriculum, I would suggest Starter Kit Level C. (http://activitiesforlearning.com/starterkitlevelcwithalabacusstandard.aspx) Level C will continue to work with addition and subtraction as well as start multiplication. It also has a fabulous geometry section towards the middle of the manual which the kids really love - at least my kids loved it. If you question whether to start at Level C, you can take the beginning level questionnaire at: http://www.alabacus.com/questions/. I have 3 boys that I have taught using RightStart and all three have VERY different learning types. My oldest son learns very well visually. This program has been incredible for him because it 'shows' him math in a variety of different ways.

Another suggestion I have, you had mentioned in your post. You could continue in your current curriculum and add 'Activities For The AL Abacus' kit. This will give you another way for your daughter to 'visualize' math. The manual is sorted by topics so you can choose a topic based on what you are learning in your curriculum. I would also suggest getting the 'Math Card Games' kit. This will give your daughter practice with math facts WITHOUT doing tons of boring worksheets. This might give her more incentive to practice her math facts. There are 300 different games to choose from. The Math Card Games manual is also divided up in different topics (ie. addition, subtraction, multiplication, time, fractions, etc) so if you want to practice addition facts, just pick one of the games listed and play it. You will be amazed how quickly your daughter will pick up on her math facts.

Please let me know if you still have questions. You can post on this site or you can email your questions at info@alabacus.com. You can also call our help desk at (888)272-3291.

Have a great day!