The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lt G H Woods 4th Bn Buffs HMS Eclipse Oct 1943

I wonder if anyone can help please, filling in some detail on the death of Lt George Henry Woods and 120+ other Buffs when HMS Eclipse was sunk by a mine on 23rd Oct 1943. He was my Mother's first husband and she never really knew what happened to him and what he was doing at the time. Was he a platoon/company officer or HQ section? Any information would gratefully received.

Re: Lt G H Woods 4th Bn Buffs HMS Eclipse Oct 1943

Hi Clive,

I have sent you a personal email. My grandfather Arthur William Fortune was a Buff also killed that night. This year I visited the wreck site with my 3 children. I will gladly send you all the info I have. We must endeavour to keep the memory of these remarkable men alive. Send your address to me and it will be a pleasure to send info as wonderful people on this site have been so kind to me in the past.

All the best,

Matthew a Fortune.

My wife's uncle was also lost on HMS Eclipse on the 23/24 October 1943. Private J.J. Shephard 4398196 his body was not recovered but he is remembered on the Athens Memorial, Face 5, at Phaleron War Cemetery a few kilometres south-east of Athens, Eclpse was in company with HMS Petard She broke in two and sank within five minutes with the loss of 119 of the ship's company and 134 soldiers from A Company, 4th Battalion, Buffs

Best wishes Bob fry

Thanks for that, Bob.

George Woods had been told that he was being commissioned and the unit were going abroad "for some considerable time", so he and my Mother decided to marry quickly before he left. They were duly married and he left the next day for the middle east - never to return. She was told almost nothing, and I feel I owe it to both of them to learn as much as I can. After the war, as a young widow, she met my father who had returned to Folkestone from the Indian Army, and they had 37 happy years until her sudden death. Both their ashes are interred at St Martin's, Shorncliffe.

Best wishes - Clive Good

Hi all,

A similar story any many ways to my grandfather Arthur William Fortune, although he had been a regular soldier with the Ox and Bucks since 1930. He ended up a Buff I assume after post Dunkirk reorganisations. I will taking a look at the warrior chapel at Canterbury cathedral this summer where all these mens name are recorded in the " book of life." I have visited the commonwealth war grave in Athens and indeed parascended the wreck site of Eclipse last year dropping flowers with two of my three children. We remembered all on the Eclipse as well as other lost in that tiny stretch of water. I have lots of info around the events of that night that I am more than happy to share.

All the best,

Matthew Fortune.

Have Ben on this site. https://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=3656952&cb=cancel&request=53741They have photos of face 5 of the memorial a for a small fee which covers the Buffs

I've got printed pictures from my visit in 2001. Hopefully they incliude your relative. I will forward them via email with pleasure when I get my hands on them.

Matthew.

Thank you that would be great ties up an end to our. Family tre