Camp Dimond O and Miwoks

Where all the hills and valleys are fresh from winter snows. Our mountain camp. It may be gone but never forgotten.

Camp Dimond O and Miwoks
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EMU

Does anybody remember the directions on how we cooked the EMU in Staff Village? I want to bring this experience to my boy's scout troop.

Thanks,

Scott Perkins

Re: EMU

You asked about an EMU (though it was quite a while ago). The pit was dug and lined with rocks. A fire was built in it and kept burning for at least 8 hours. The fire died down, but the rocks stayed hot. The roast beefs, carrots, potatoes, celery, onions, were soaked in a brine for several hours, then drained and wrapped in kitchen towels which were wet. These were then wrapped in burlap bags--again, soaked wet. They were wrapped together and wrapped with wire, which was then looped over a log. The bundles of food were then dropped into the hole, surrounded by hot rocks, covered with ferns, some of the removed hot rocks, a layer of dirt. They were removed after about 5 hours, hoisted out by the log and wire after the dirt and rocks on top were lifted off.

I was a 1955 Miwok, on the staff of Dimond-O from 1955 to 1963 as Camp Clerk, then Assistant Business Manager, Scoutcraft Director, Program Director and finaly as Business Manager until I left to open the new Willets camp as waterfront director.