Camp Dimond O and Miwoks

Where all the hills and valleys are fresh from winter snows. Our mountain camp. It may be gone but never forgotten.

Camp Dimond O and Miwoks
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bugs Cain

Hello,

I am the President of the Entomological Society of America, and I am doing a column on unsung mentors that will feature Brighton "Bugs" Cain. I
have a problem, however, in that all I really know about him is that he worked at a scout camp and influenced most of the big names in West Coast
entomology over the course of an entire generation. I thought he was based in Oakland, but your site is for Diamond O, which I assume is in the
Sierras?

I was happy to see that you had a photo of him on your Diamond O website. This is the first place that I was able to find even his first name! Is it
possible to get a larger copy of that photo? Also, do you happen to know when he died? I would love to find an obituary for him. Any information
on him, or contacts to anyone else who might have information would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Michael Ivie

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D.
Department of Entomology
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717
USA

(406) 994-4610 (voice)
(406) 994-6029 (FAX)
mivie@montana.edu

Re: Bugs Cain

I attended camp Dimond O in 1948, 1950 and 1951 and remember Bugs Cain well, especially his rattlesnake shows. I do not know for sure when he died but I recall an obituary in the Hayward, California daily newspaper in the early 1950's (could have been 1950, 1951 or 1952. It was for a "B.C.Cain" who had taken his own life by carbon monoxide poising. I asked my scoutmaster if it was Bugs Cain and as I recall, my scoutmaster said yes. My scoutmaster said Bugs has been in poor health and given an indoor job in scout headquarters and missed being in an outdoor job very much. Sorry I can't add more.

Ron White

Re: Bugs Cain

From the California Death Records for 1940 to 1997 which are on the internet at www.vitals.rootsweb.com/ca/death/search.cgi:

Brighton C. Cain, born on 05/08/1897 in Utah. Died on 05/19/1951 in San Mateo County, California.